Tea Party Ex-Congressman Joe Walsh Apologizes For Helping Elect ‘Unfit Con Man’ Trump

Image result for joe walsh tea party

The former Illinois representative urges a new primary challenge for the “reckless” and “incompetent” president.

Former Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), the conservative talk-show host and prominent “tea party” figure, on Wednesday called President Donald Trump an “unfit conman” and a “racial arsonist” and urged a primary challenge for the Republican nomination next year. 

Walsh also apologized both for his own heated rhetoric over the years and for helping to elect Trump in 2016. 

Writing in The New York Times, Walsh said:

In Mr. Trump, I see the worst and ugliest iteration of views I expressed for the better part of a decade. To be sure, I’ve had my share of controversy. On more than one occasion, I questioned Mr. Obama’s truthfulness about his religion. At times, I expressed hate for my political opponents. We now see where this can lead. There’s no place in our politics for personal attacks like that, and I regret making them.”

Walsh voted for Trump in 2016.

“If Trump loses, I’m grabbing my musket,” he wrote on Twitter, later saying it wasn’t a literal call to arms but a call to protest.

However, since the election, he’s turned into a persistent Trump critic from the right. 

In the Times, he argued that Trump isn’t a conservative and that he’s vulnerable not just because he’s unfit for office but because of his poor record. 

“He’s reckless on fiscal issues; he’s incompetent on the border; he’s clueless on trade; he misunderstands executive power; and he subverts the rule of law,” Walsh wrote. “It’s his poor record that makes him most worthy of a primary challenge.”

He noted that former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, who is running against Trump in the Republican primary, is a centrist challenger. Instead, Walsh said, Trump could be vulnerable to a conservative opponent in the primary:   

“We need someone who could stand up, look the president in the eye and say: ‘Enough, sir. We’ve had enough of your indecency. We’ve had enough of your lies, your bullying, your cruelty, enough of your insults, your daily drama, your incitement, enough of the danger you place this country in every single day. We don’t want any of this anymore, and the country certainly can’t stand four more years of it.’” 

On Twitter, Walsh wrote that his column was both a call for someone to run against Trump and an apology for his own role in helping to elect him: 

Walsh was widely praised for the mea culpa:

Long John Silver’s Drops Fox News After Tucker Carlson Said White Supremacy’s A ‘Hoax’

Image result for tucker carlson + hoax

The brand is one of more than 20 that have stopped advertising during the Fox News host’s show because of his offensive rhetoric.

Fox News and host Tucker Carlson are losing more advertisers.

Long John Silver’s will no longer advertise on Fox News, as confirmed to Media Matters’ Angelo Carusone.

Nestlé and HelloFresh, which have advertised on Carlson’s show in the past, told The Hollywood Reporter they were no longer running ads on the show. Nestlé said it had no plans to do so in the future.

Earlier this week, Carlson claimed on his show “Tucker Carlson Tonight” that there is no white supremacy problem in the United States and that it’s a “hoax” proliferated by the media.

“The whole thing is a lie,” said Carlson. “It’s actually not a real problem in America.”

The conservative commentator’s remarks came after two mass shootings in 24 hours last weekend. The gunman who killed at least 22 in El Paso, Texas, reportedly posted a white supremacist manifesto online shortly before the shootinhttps://www.theopinionpoll.comg. In light of that and Carlson’s history of repeatedly giving airtime to white nationalist conspiracy theories and talking points, #FireTuckerCarlson began trending on Twitter on Wednesday.

In an apparent coincidence, Carlson announced that he would be taking some time off from his broadcast that same night. He also told his critics to “calm down.” 

Fox News has stayed silent on the controversy. CNN’s Oliver Darcy reported on Wednesday night that none of the channel’s board members ― including Rupert Murdoch, Lachlan Murdoch, Jacques Nasser, Anne Dias, Roland Hernandez and Paul Ryan ― agreed to comment on Carlson’s rhetoric.

HuffPost has reached out to Fox News directly, and has also asked Carlson’s remaining advertisers to comment on their partnerships with his show.

In December 2018, Carlson lost more than 20 advertisers after suggesting that immigrants are making the United States “dirtier.” He never issued an apology and later doubled down on the racist sentiment.

Carlson lost even more advertisers in March after Media Matters released audio revealing white nationalist rhetoric he used duringvarious appearances on shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge’s show between 2006 and 2011. 

 

POST YOUR OPINION

HUFFINGTONPOST.COM

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/long-john-silvers-tucker-carlson_n_5d4c6994e4b01e44e4774e1c

Trump Wants to Eliminate Program Allowing Green Cards for Families of Filipino WWII Vets

Trump Wants to Eliminate Program Allowing Green Cards for Families of Filipino WWII Vets

The Trump administration, in an apparent drive to erase any vestige of President Obama’s tenure, will end a three-year-old program that allowed family members of Filipino World War II veterans to stay in the US while waiting for their green cards to be approved, a process that can take decades.

On Friday (August 2) , the US Citizenship and Immigration Services announced it would terminate the Haitian Family Reunification Parole program and Filipino World War II Veterans Parole program based on an executive order from President Donald Trump.

Sen. Mazie Hirono, who authored the bill allowing the parole program, noted that in some cases it could take up to 20 years for someone to get their green card, meaning many veterans would die before having the opportunity to be reunited with their family members. Hirono said the USCIS’s decision was just the latest in Trump’s “pathological need to treat immigrants as cruelly as possible, and to undo any program ever created by Barack Obama.”

“The depths of Donald Trump’s inhumanity where immigrants are concerned knows no bottom, but not even the most loyal of his supporters can be in favor of disrespecting the brave and distinguished service of veterans who fought alongside Americans and helped us win the war,” Hirono said in a statement.

In a press release, USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli explained that the decision was based on fairness.

“Under these categorical parole programs, individuals have been able to skip the line and bypass the proper channels established by Congress,” Cuccinelli said.“With the termination of these programs, these individuals will no longer be permitted to wait in the United States for their family-based green card to become available, consistent with the rules that apply to the rest of the world.”

An angry Hirono responded: “There is no purpose to keeping the families of the quickly diminishing number of Filipino World War II veterans separated.”

“They have been ignored and disrespected by this country for decades. They deserve our thanks, not spite from their unhinged president.”

POST YOUR OPINION 

ASAMNEWS.COM

https://asamnews.com/2019/08/04/trump-wants-to-eliminate-program-allowing-green-cards-for-families-of-filipino-wwii-vets/

 

National Weather

Click on map for forecast

advertisement

advertisement